MEET THE TEAM
Brian Byrom leads this elite team of teaching professionals:
Brian connects with each participant on a personal level. He enjoys teaching and technical writing. His articles have been published Internationally and he recently retired as a HVAC Contractor to devote his full attention to BTrained and his students.
Lynn Payne is a retired Cahaba Heights Firefighter, Paramedic and a State certified HVAC Active license holder. Lynn retired from the fire department after 37 years and as a teacher enjoys sharing his HVAC experience with others
John R. Roberts (Just “J”) J has a passion for spreading the word of natural gas as a clear, clean and cheaper alternative fuel for Alabama and the U.S.
Brian has been in the HACR industry for more than 40 years. During this time he has experienced and maintained equipment in all aspects of the field including:
- Centrifugal and Reciprocating Chillers
- Steam and Hydronic Boilers
- Pneumatic and electronic control systems
- Commercial Refrigeration Equipment
- Restaurant Equipment
- All types of residential and commercial comfort systems
He has been teaching technical training classes for over 40 years focusing on the rudiments of the industry. These classes have included:
- Weekly Technician Training
- Gasfitters (Journeyman and Master) Seminars
- Manual J Training Course
- Contractor Continuing Education Classes
- EPA Certification courses and Exams
Among Brian’s certifications include:
- Alabama HACR Contractor
- Alabama Master Gasfitter Certification
- EPA Certified Instructor
- NATE Certification
Lynn Payne is a retired Firefighter/Paramedic and enjoys sharing his interest in HVAC with others.
He graduated from Pinson Valley High School in 1979 and begin his own business, L & W Graphics in 1882.
He volunteered at Palmerdale Fire & Rescue and then joined Cahaba Heights Fire & Rescue full time. He graduated from Shelton State Community College at the Fire College
He graduated from Wallace State community College in Heating & Air Conditioning. and holds an active HACR certification with the Alabama HACR Board.
Some of Lynn’s other Certifications include: EPA 608 Universal Certification & Proctor; Hazardous Material Technician C.L.E.A.R.
John R. Roberts (Just “J”) has over 30 years of experience in the natural gas industry with Alagasco and Spire Alabama
- He began his career with Alagasco in 1989 as a crewman for Alagasco’s construction department.
- He completed his service mechanic apprenticeship and passed the Alabama Gas Fitter exam in 1991. Soon after he passed the Alabama Master Gas exam and enjoyed a 20-year career as a service mechanic, J completed his BA in business in 201. In that same year he took on the role as Alagasco’s technical trainer for service and served in this role for 4 years. Laclede Gas Company purchased Alagasco in 2013 and changed the company name to Spire in 2016.
- J has served in various training/supervisory roles with Spire
- He took the position of customer service supervisor over a team of Birmingham service mechanics and eventually assumed the role of Service Supervisor over the Birmingham service apprentices
- J has instructed IFGC Review at Alagasco and Spire.
- J has taught an IFGC review at the Alabama Association of Plumber, Gas and Mechanical Inspectors conference in Auburn
- J holds a Master Gas Fitters card and is the Master Plumber card holder for Spire Alabama
- He Holds one of Spire Alabama’s HVAC contractor license
- J has a passion for spreading the word of natural gas as a clear, clean and cheaper alternative fuel for Alabama and the U.S.
- He has been married to Ellen, his high school sweetheart, for 34 years.